A Cutting Edge Online Curriculum
Download your copy of the 2013–14 K-8 Course List and the High School Course List.
Washoe Online Learning for the Future (WOLF) offers students a broad selection of engaging, challenging courses in order to prepare them for college and beyond.
In a typical day, students may follow pioneers along the Spanish Trail in an award-winning textbook, chart their route with maps and compasses, measure the distance traveled with newly-acquired geometry skills, and test their geography knowledge in an interactive Teachlet® tutorial. Then they may discuss their “travels” online in a lively, teacher-led LiveLesson® session and in-person during a field trip to a local history museum.
By bringing together the best in print, online, and interactive resources from leading publishers with our own custom-designed tools and materials, our experts have crafted a multi-dimensional experience that engages students on every level, at every level. It’s an innovative online curriculum that:
- Builds a solid foundation in reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Develops critical thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Adapts readily to different learning styles and paces.
- Fuels the imagination.
- Excites students about school and the infinite possibilities of education.
Engaging, Challenging Curriculum Produces Greater Student Success
Wondering if an online curriculum this exciting can be effective? Just consider these results from other schools using this same curriculum:
- Students’ using this curriculum have seen reading scores exceed state averages and the averages of other online schools—in ALL grades.
- Graduates from schools using this curriculum have been accepted at top-ranked universities across the country.
- In annual satisfaction surveys, 97% of parents rate this curriculum as high quality.
- This curriculum has more regional accreditations than any other online school.
Washoe Online Learning for the Future elementary school curriculum makes learning exciting, leveraging the multi-sensory way children learn to build essential reading, writing, and math skills with:
- Textbooks and workbooks from leading education publishers.
- Easy-to-follow online lessons that make the parent a full partner in the learning process.
- Interactive tools and games that strengthen basic reading and math skills.
- Hands-on activities that bring math and science concepts to life.
- Animated Teachlet® tutorials and videos to reinforce key concepts and skills.
- LiveLesson® sessions that connect experienced teachers, students, and parents in a vibrant learning community.
In grades K–6, the parent is an essential part of the WOLF team. In addition to getting a personalized learning plan tailored to each student’s individual strengths and challenges, every lesson includes clear, easy-to-follow instructions for the parent. Every student is unique and, at WOLF, the customized curriculum is unique to every student.
Explorer. Poet. Scientist. Historian. In middle school, WOLF students are at the center of the adventure as our courses expand their understanding of the world around them.
Preparing Students for High School and Beyond!
From the pyramids of ancient Egypt, to the properties of the atom, to the classics of world literature, WOLF’s middle school begins introducing students to more challenging concepts and subjects:
- Language arts that emphasize reading, writing, and comprehension.
- Math courses that tie fundamental concepts to real-life practice.
- Life and physical sciences that bring principles to life through hands-on activities and cutting-edge instructional tools.
- Social studies that foster a deeper understanding of history, culture, and economics.
- Electives ranging from music to art to foreign languages and more.
- Field trips and activities that provide additional opportunities for social and intellectual growth.
It’s all part of a carefully-crafted curriculum delivered through online lessons, real-time LiveLesson® sessions, textbooks from leading publishers, and interactive instructional tools.
The Key: Multi-faceted Curriculum and a Supportive School Community
Imagine a rigorous curriculum that leverages how, when, and where students learn best. Then integrate the most respected print and online resources, innovative instructional tools, and hands-on activities into dynamic curriculum that engages every type of learner. And top it all off by offering the gamut of high school experiences:
- Core classes in math, science, language arts, and social studies.
- Extensive electives, including Speech and Debate, Career Exploration, and College Prep with SAT.
- Support for students who need extra help.
- College-credit classes.
By combining rigor with flexibility, our curriculum makes success accessible to every student.
Just step into one of our biology classes . . .
In a LiveLesson® session, experienced biology teacher Ms. Freeland leads a class discussion on dichotomous keys for amphibians. Then, using the clues provided by Ms. Freeland and their Biology: The Dynamics of Life text, the class identifies habitats where they can observe the Northern Leopard frog. By Friday, students and teacher are in the field, observing species and analyzing water quality. Finally, on their own schedules, students are using Froguts, a virtual dissection tool, to better understand where biology, anatomy, and ecology converge.
Preparing Your Student for College or Career
Whether college-bound or career-oriented, we make sure our students are ready for what lies beyond graduation by:
- Providing access to a full-time certified school counselor.
- Helping students create four-year academic plans.
- Guiding students as they consider college and career opportunities.